Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Week 2 Review and Week 3 Assignment


Hey Everyone! 

Hope you're week is going well. Have you finished reading chapter 2? 

Tricia and Leanne, thanks for sharing your thoughts on the blog! If you would like to share an impression or thought from chapter 2, you can either email all of us here or you can post it to the blog here: http://genesispursuinggod.blogspot.com

Here's the phrase that left, maybe the biggest impression on me yet: "I only wanted to remove him from the temple of your heart that I might reign unchallenged there. I wanted to correct the perversion that existed in your love." (p.26 in my book) Here Tozer was speculating on the thoughts of God toward Abraham's test with his son Isaac. If Tozer is correct in his assessment, then it gives us insight into how God works and why He may or may not be doing certain things in our life. Because ultimately, God's greatest concern, is a pure, whole-hearted love from us. Wow. As a fairly new dad of 2 little girls, this really stuck with me.

My 2 yr old Selah loves to go on walks. Anytime Page or I even mention going on a walk, she gets very excited and says, "walk, walk" with a big smile on her face. She will then immediately turn and go get her shoes to let us know she's ready to go! I've really enjoyed spending time with Selah simply walking down the street holding her hand. From time to time, holding hands as we walk, she will turn her cute little face up and look me in the eyes. Oh, those moments are the best! One day I snapped a photo with my camera phone (see attached). I showed that photo to a new friend recently and he responded by reminding me "that's the kind of relationship our Heavenly Father desires to have with us!" 



In the book of Genesis we see God walking in the garden with Adam and Eve. This was the Father's original intent. A life where we live in the presence of God, walking in close friendship with Him throughout the day, every day. This is the kind of relationship God still desires for us today! King David knew this as he wrote in Psalm 27:8, My heart says of you, “Seek his face!” Your face, Lord, I will seek.


May this be the cry of our hearts at Genesis Church! May our hearts cry out, "Seek His Face!" and may we set our hearts on seeking our Father's face! 


Assignment for this week: 

Reading - Read Chapter 3 and 4 of Tozer.

Journal - After you have read chapters 3 and 4, take time to pick out 3 - 4 sentences or phrases that left an impression on you and re-write them in your journal. Ask the Lord, "Is there a reason you brought these to my attention?" Then be still and quiet for a few minutes, jotting down any thoughts that come to mind. See if you can identify the voice of the Lord and what He might be saying to you. 

Prayer - Psalm 63:1 - 5. This is the same prayer passage from last 2 weeks. Let's stay with this one. Keep reading it and praying through it for yourself. Maybe this week you could zero in on verse 2, asking the Lord to "show me your glory!" 

Praying for each of you by name! 

Kevin

2 comments:

Susie Casey said...

On a light and fun note - “God wills that we should push on into His Presence and live our whole life there. It is more than a doctrine to be held, it is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day.” I love this! It's not for sometimes but to be enjoyed every moment of every day!

On a heavier note - “Why do we consent to abide all our days just outside the Holy of Holies and never enter at all to look upon God? It's because a veil remains there still shutting out the light and hiding the face of God from us. It is the veil of our fleshly fallen nature living on. It is the close-woven veil of the self-life. We have but to look in our own hearts and we shall see it there, an enemy to our lives and an effective block to our spiritual progress. Self righteousness, self pity, self confidence, self sufficiency, self admiration, and self love. Self is the opaque veil that hides the Face of God from us.
We must bring our self-sins to the cross for judgment. God must do everything for us. Our part is to yield and trust. We must confess, forsake, repudiate the self-life, and then reckon it crucified."

hmmm a lot to think on and talk to God about, my self veil that hides the face of God from me.


Kevin said...

Susie that second paragraph is really messing with me as well! I'm asking the Lord to please do what He needs to do in me to remove the veil, show me what it truly means to die to self!